Lead Educator - Lower Primary - PBL
Do you have a passion for inspiring and empowering young people to build a beautiful, equitable and sustainable world? Are you a qualified primary teacher? Have you confidence and expertise with 7 to 9-year-olds? If your answers are yes, please keep on reading.
Join us at REAL School Budapest!
We are a maturing international school for young people who will both imagine and shape tomorrow - and today. Through project-based learning, our students discover the world and themselves, develop a sustainability mindset and the skills to make a difference, and learn to embrace change. Whilst we follow the National Curriculum in England for literacy, numeracy and science, our heart-focus is on nurturing the entrepreneurial skill set, the sustainability mindset, the independent learning skills, and the wellbeing of our students through real-life experiences. We offer our team members an entrepreneurial, respectful, collaborative, kind, high-standard environment where they can bring out their best.
We are inspired by Green School Bali - where our founding team previously worked.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." (Cicero)
Are you ready for an unparalleled adventure?
To drive the development and implementation of the learning experience for our lower primary learning groups (ages 7 to 9) with a focus on language development including the teaching of phonics and literacy.
Your goals and responsibilities
- Create projects which take dreams to reality, through the School’s structured project-based learning process
- Collaborate with fellow educators to create Relevant, Entrepreneurial and Art-filled Learning experiences across disciplines
- Curate a learning community that ensures the personal and social, physical and mental health and safety of the young people under your care
- Teach the fundamental skills and concepts of maths, reading and writing, assessing progress in line with the National Curriculum in England
- Apply maths, reading and writing in a holistic way with project-based learning where opportunities arise
- Utilise play-based approaches to enhance the learning of younger children in line with their developmental readiness
- Empower young people to identify, develop and realise their goals throughout a personal learning journey that involves the creation of exquisite products and a portfolio that evidences their beautiful work
- Co-design and teach Wellbeing topics; assume responsibility for the pastoral care of individual students; and build a connected and compassionate community of learners. All in collaboration with the School Counsellor.
- Make learning visible and measurable, without the use of standardised tests or grades
- Facilitate the development of executive functioning skills, highly effective communication skills, courage, compassion and creativity in young people
- Build trusting, collaborative, compassionate connections with parents, and communicate with them regularly through several different channels
- Usher young people into a beautifully eclectic, balanced way of life, in which they develop a profound respect for the planet and all sentient beings
- Add value to a highly collaborative collegial team of dedicated educators
- Contribute to the after-school activities programme
- Embrace and make effective use of open-plan, shared learning spaces, as well as nature- and city-based learning opportunities
- Stay current with trends, innovations and research in learning science, instructional media and learner behaviour
- Use AI tools as appropriate to create the most meaningful learning experiences possible.
Your qualities and qualifications
- 5+ years of experience as a teacher in an international lower primary context
- An innovative methodologies mindset and experience in curriculum planning
- Qualified Teacher (PGCE) or a Bachelor's or Masters degree in Education
- Native or near-native English
- Experience with sustainable or entrepreneurial causes is a major plus
- Experience in authentic project-based learning is preferred
- A natural ability to establish strong, positive relationships with young people and their parents
- Experience with non-neurotypical, culturally diverse, and EAL populations is a major plus
- An openness to having your ideas respectfully challenged, and to spending time on the edge of your comfort zone
- A love of the fine arts and/or sports and/or outdoor life, and preferably a talent in some aspect of one of them
- A passion for our purpose and the social impact we aspire to create; alongside alignment with our school culture, including our passion for plant-based food
- A charismatic self-starter, who is highly resourceful, persistent, adaptable, innovative, creative, collaborative and who wants to continuously improve in a changing and agile environment
- A person who is confident alone, but who believes that we are stronger together in a team-based approach to creating.
Our provisions for you
- A lead educator role in an ambitious endeavour to invent progressive education with a purpose, whilst enjoying the hallmark creative freedom of REAL School
- Remuneration commensurate with responsibilities performed
- All that Budapest, ‘the Paris of the East’ with nature on its doorstep, has to offer
- Free plant-based lunch from our on-site Planteen
- The chance to become an expert in educating for sustainability, as you live it
- Membership of an energetic, collaborative, kind, and positive team
- Inclusion in an inspirational, diverse and intellectual community, where causes take centre stage and real-life project-based learning, student agency, wellbeing and sustainability are at the core of continuous innovation.
Is this role for you?
If so, then we invite you to:
- fill out the short application form, by clicking Apply Now, above
- upload your CV
- upload a cover letter describing why you are interested in this role and why you would be suitable
- make a not longer than 2-minute video (an unlisted Youtube or Vimeo link is best) where you talk about your passions or what about this position lights your fire, so that we may get really excited about you
Closing date for applications: when the position is filled.
Our team welcomes your questions. Connect with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; REAL School Budapest respects and advocates diversity and is an equal opportunity working environment. REAL School Budapest is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including references from previous employers by following our safer recruitment practice. Enhanced Criminal Records Bureau Disclosure or equivalent will be required for all prior countries lived. All positions of employment are dependent on the fulfilment of Hungarian employment law requirements.
“Let ours be a time remembered for the awakening of a new reverence for life, the firm resolve to achieve sustainability, the quickening of the struggle for justice and peace, and the joyful celebration of life.”