Lead Educator - Upper Primary - PBL
Full time, starting in January, April or August 2024
Do you have a passion for inspiring and empowering young people to build a beautiful, equitable and sustainable world?
Join us at REAL School Budapest!
We are a growing international school for young people who will both imagine and shape tomorrow - and today. Through project-based learning, our students: discover the world and themselves, develop a sustainability mindset and the skills to make a difference, and learn to embrace change. Whilst we follow the English National Curriculum for literacy, numeracy and science, our heart-focus is on nurturing both the entrepreneurial and thinking skills, and the wellbeing and personal qualities of our students through real-life experiences.
We are inspired by Green School Bali - where our founding team previously worked. We offer our community an entrepreneurial, respectful, collaborative, kind, authentic, high-standards environment where they can bring out the best in themselves. Our organisation is moving towards a TEAL model.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." (Cicero)
Are you ready for an unparalleled adventure?
To drive the development and implementation of the learning experience for our 11-14-year-olds.
Your goals and responsibilities
- Collaborate with fellow educators to create Relevant, Entrepreneurial and Art-filled Learning experiences across disciplines
- Create projects which take dreams to reality, through the School’s structured project-based learning process
- Empower young people to identify, develop and realise their goals throughout a personal learning journey that involves the creation of exquisite products and a portfolio that evidences their beautiful work
- Co-design and teach Wellbeing topics; assume responsibility for the pastoral care of individual students; and build a connected and compassionate community of learners.
- Make learning visible and measurable, without the use of standardised tests or grades
- Facilitate the development of executive functioning skills, highly effective communication skills, courage, compassion and creativity in young people
- Alongside your own creativity, utilise the English National Curriculum to facilitate students’ mastery of mathematics and literacy
- Build trusting, collaborative, compassionate connections with parents, and communicate with them regularly through several different channels
- Usher young people into a beautifully eclectic, balanced way of life, in which they develop a profound respect for the planet and all sentient beings
- Add value to a highly collaborative collegial team of dedicated educators
- Contribute to the after school activities programme
- Embrace and make effective use of open-plan, shared learning spaces, as well as nature- and city-based learning opportunities
- Stay current with trends, innovations and research in learning science, instructional media and learner behaviour
Your qualities and qualifications
- 5+ years of experience as a teacher in upper primary or middle years, ideally an innovative methodologies mindset
- Qualified Teacher Status or a Masters' degree in Education (international experience is preferred)
- Experience in authentic project-based learning is preferred
- Experience with sustainable or entrepreneurial causes is a major plus
- Native or near-native English with high eloquence
- A natural ability to establish strong, positive relationships with young people and their parents
- Experience with non-neurotypical, culturally diverse, and EAL populations is prefered
- An openness to having your ideas respectfully challenged, and to spending time on the edge of your comfort zone
- A love of the fine arts and/or sports and/or outdoor life, and preferably a talent in some aspect of one of them
- A passion for our purpose and the social impact we aspire to create; alongside alignment with our school culture, including our passion for plant-based food
- A charismatic self-starter, who is highly resourceful, persistent, adaptable, innovative, creative, collaborative and wanting to continuously improve in a changing and agile environment.
- Person who is confident alone, but who believes that we are stronger together in a team-based approach to creating.
Our provisions for you
- A lead educator role in an ambitious endeavour to invent progressive education with a purpose, whilst enjoying the hallmark creative freedom of REAL School
- Remuneration commensurate with responsibilities performed
- All that Budapest, ‘the Paris of the East’ with nature on its doorstep, has to offer
- Free plant-based food, 3-times a day, from our on-site Planteen canteen
- The chance to become an expert in educating for sustainability, as you live it
- Membership of an energetic, collaborative, kind, and positive team
- Inclusion in an inspirational, diverse and intellectual community, where causes take centre stage and real-life project-based learning, student agency, wellbeing and sustainability are at the core of continuous innovation
Is this role for you?
If so, then we invite you to: upload your CV, and please share an up-to 2-minute video as to why this endeavour and what you could bring to it.
Closing date for applications: when the position is filled.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; REAL School Budapest respects and advocates diversity and is an equal opportunity working environment. REAL School Budapest is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including references from previous employers by following our safer recruitment practice. Enhanced Criminal Records Bureau Disclosure or equivalent will be required for all prior countries lived. All positions of employment are dependent on the fulfilment of Hungarian employment law requirements.
“Let ours be a time remembered for the awakening of a new reverence for life, the firm resolve to achieve sustainability, the quickening of the struggle for justice and peace, and the joyful celebration of life.” The Earth Charter